Thursday, 15 December 2016

Off text improvisation

In this exercises, we created two short scenes. In the first improvisation, I worked with Tom who plays Professor Collins. We decided to create some dialogue based around their need for Mr Banks to join them as Trinity College rather than him continuing teaching at Girton college. I learned that my character is outraged that women get the chance of being educated and that he thinks it is unfair as it breaks tradition and they don't deserve it. This could either be interpreted as him being sexist or simply trying to keep tradition an that he is genuinely convinced that the concept of women's education can never work. I also learned that Radleigh, Collins and Anderson share the same views and think a similar way and therefore have great respect for each other and have a strong and positive relationship with each other. This means that they will stand up for each other and are more likely to express their opinions as they know that this will be supported id there is any opposition. 

In the second scene, the characters were discussing whether they should give Tess a second chance. The characters in this second improvisation were Miss Blake, Professor Radleigh and Professor Collins. I learned that my character is very stubborn and is extremely reluctant to change his views. He is quite snobby and full of himself as he believes he is always right and doesn't allow anyone to tell him otherwise. He refuses to give Tess a second chance, regardless how how intelligent she is or how much potential she has. This is because he believes it is the only fair option. In some ways I can relate to him here, because he is only trying to do what is fair and thinks that if Tess gets a second chance, it would be unfair on everyone else. This adds depth to the character as he isn't just narrow minded and stubborn, he has sensible logic and motivation behind his strict attitude.

I found this exercise very useful as it allowed me to get into the mind frame of my character so that I could think in the same way as him and see things from his perspective. This helped me relate to my character and to see his motivation behind what he believes in or what he does. Furthermore, this exercise made me think quickly which was useful as Professor Radleigh is highly intelligent and quick witted.

No comments:

Post a Comment